Income–tax return (ITR) is a statement of income and tax thereon, which is to be furnished by a taxpayer to the Income-tax Department in prescribed form every year.
Income Tax return filling is legal requirement in India as per Income tax Act 1961
The following taxpayers are required to file a mandatory income tax return are listed below:
* Any private, public, foreign, domestic company.
* Any Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) and unlimited liability partnership.
* Any total individual income is exceeding the exemption limit.
Advantages of Filling Income tax return
* Legal Requirement by Income Tax Act 1961 – for individual & HUF -If gross total income Exceeding 2,50,000/-then shall have to file return
* For firm & companies- even if no income return filing mandatory
* Claiming refund
* Carry-forward of losses
* Establishing income proof in compensation cases
* Helps the bank loan documentation process easier
* Credit Card Processing
* For a hassle-free visa application procedure
* Makes life easier for freelancers and Professional
Disadvantages of a Non Filling Income tax return
* Losses cannot be carried forward.
* Deductions under Chapter – VI A cannot be claim
* Interest under Section 234
* Loss on refund of Taxes (Financial loss)
* Best judgment assessment (Assessment under section 144):
* Penalty for Concealment of Income
* Prosecution for Failure to Furnish Return of Income u/s 276CC
Computation of Income
Calculation of Tax Payable
Payment of Tax
Preparation of Return
Submission of Return