Why is TAN Required?
It needs to be mentioned that failing to apply for TAN or not quoting the 10-digit alphanumeric number in specified documents like TDS/TCS returns, e-TDS/e-TCS returns, TDS/TCS certificates, and TDS/TCS payment challans can attract a penalty of Rs.10,000/-.
All those who are required to deduct or collect tax at source on behalf of the Income Tax department need to apply and obtain the 10-digit alphanumeric TAN.
There are basically two types of TAN applications. They are:
1. Application for issuance of new TAN.
2. Form for change or correction in TAN data for TAN allotted.
Documents Required For TAN
- PAN of Applicant / Company / Firm
- Individual Applicant
- POI/ POA- Aadhaar, Passport, Voter ID, Driving Licence
- Hindu Undivided Family
- An affidavit of the HUF issued by the head of HUF along with POI/POA details
- Company registered in India
- Certificate of Registration issued by Registrar of Companies
- Firms/ Partnership (LLP)
- Certificate of Registration issued by the Registrar of Firms/ Limited Liability Partnerships and Partnership Deed Trust.
- Copy of Trust Deed or a copy of the Certificate of Registration Number issued by a Charity Commissioner. Society
- Certificate of Registration Number from Registrar of Co-operative Society or Charity Commissioner Foreigners
- PIO/ OCI card issued by the Indian Government
- Bank statement of the residential country
- Copy of NRE bank statement in India